Your browser does not support JavaScript!
01539 324480 Book now 0

What Food Can I Take to France In My Motorhome?

Planning a motorhome trip to France is incredibly fun: booking campsites, scheduling outdoor activities and exploring the nearest sights will get you excited for your next holiday. However, you’ll need some sustenance to fuel your journey! 

But what kinds of foods can you take to France? The effects of Brexit have been felt worldwide, with travellers unsure what they can and can’t take into EU countries. So, if you’re travelling to France in your motorhome and unsure what to pack, Melling Motorhomes is here with the answers. 

We’ll outline the latest regulations and EU laws, tell you exactly what documents you need to get into the country and the types of food you’ll be better off purchasing when you get there! For more information, stick with Melling Motorhomes. 

What documents do I need to take my motorhome to France?

Of course, before you start thinking about food, you’ll need to get all your legal documents in order. So, what documents do UK citizens need to take a motorhome to France? 

  • A valid, in-date UK passport
  • A valid, in-date UK driving licence
  • Vehicle registration document (V5C)
  • Insurance Documents
  • ETAS Visa Waiver (application form can be found here)
  • EHIC Health Card (application form can be found here)
  • Crit’air (Clean Air) sticker (this may only be required in some cities, so check if you’re travelling through a Clean Air Zone)

If you break down, you may also need to take equipment like fluorescent tabards and a warning triangle. Consider taking equipment like reflective jackets (one for each passenger) and a first aid kit. 

What food can I take into France in my motorhome?

Now that you have all the necessary documentation, you’re good to go! All you have to do is figure out your food situation. 

The United Kingdom officially left the EU on the 31st of January 2020. Since then, there have been countless adjustments to the rules UK travellers face when entering EU countries. If you visit GOV.UK, European Commission and the French Duane (Customs) websites in great detail. 

Let’s discuss some of the changes…

Can I bring fresh fruit and vegetables into France?

If you’re travelling from one of the 27 EU countries, you can carry plants or plant products, such as cut flowers, fruit or vegetables, as long as they have been grown in an EU country and are free from pests or disease. 

If you want to carry fresh fruit and vegetables from the UK (including the following), there is no quantity limit, but you must present a plant health certificate from the country of origin. 

  • potatoes (for eating) 
  • vegetables and fruit 
  • flowers and flower buds 
  • fresh or refrigerated fruit 
  • fresh or refrigerated root vegetables and tubers (yams, cassava, ginger, etc.)

However, there are exceptions for bananas, durians, coconuts, pineapples and dates, for which you do not need to present a plant health certificate.

Can I bring meat and dairy products into France?

If you’re from one of the 27 EU countries, you can carry meat or dairy products with you as long as they are for your own personal consumption. 

However, as the UK is no longer a member of the EU, you cannot carry meat and dairy products from the UK in your motorhome and into France. 

Special exceptions are made when it comes to powdered infant milk, infant food, and special foods or special pet feed required for medical reasons if weighing less than 2 kilograms and provided that:

  • the products do not require refrigeration before opening
  • they are packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer
  • the packaging is unbroken unless in current use

Can I bring my own alcohol into France?

Even alcohol allowances have changed since Brexit! You are not permitted to take more than the following: 

  • 16 litres of beer
  • 4 litres of wine
  • 1 litre of alcohol, more than 22% 
  • 2 litres of alcohol under 22%

You must remember to declare all of the alcohol you’re bringing into the country. Remember, VAT, excise, and customs duties will also be payable on the above amounts!

What food should I take with me on a motorhome holiday to France? 

Cereal and Granola

Cereal and granola are great options for a quick and easy breakfast on the go. They’re also lightweight and easy to store in sealable containers.

Pasta and Rice

Pasta and rice are versatile options that can make a variety of meals. They’re also lightweight and have a long shelf life.

Canned Goods

Canned goods such as soup, chilli, and beans are great protein sources and can be used to make various meals. They’re also easy to store and have a long shelf life.


Snacks such as crackers, trail mixes, and granola bars can help satisfy hunger between meals. They’re also lightweight and easy to store in sealable containers.

Spices and Condiments

Bringing your own spices and condiments can add flavour to your meals. Consider bringing salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar.

Choose Melling Motorhomes for your French Motorhome Holiday! 

Regulations surrounding food are put in place to prevent the spread of diseases and parasites that can affect people, animals and plants. By following these rules, you can protect yourself and others from penalties, fines and possible illness. 

France is renowned for its wonderful cuisine, so why not try some out when you get there? Rent one of Melling Motorhomes’ luxury vehicles for your European trip and embark on the best adventure of your life!